Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Six of 10 substitution candidates for 2022 have Duterte links

MAJORITY of the 10 candidates who substituted for national elective positions next year have links to the Duterte administration, according to Commission on Elections (Comelec) data.

Twenty-two national candidates dropped out of the race, as the deadline for substitution lapsed on Nov. 15.

Of the 10 aspirants who substituted for relatively unknown candidates, six have links to President Rodrigo R. Duterte, who himself substituted for a senatorial bet of another party.

Among those who substituted for so-called placeholders were Davao City Mayor and presidential daughter Sara Duterte-Carpio for vice president, ex-Duterte aide Senator Christopher Lawrence T. Go for president, former anti-communist task force spokesman and retired military officer Antonio G. Parlade, Jr. for president, former national police chief Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar for senator, and former presidential spokesman Herminio L. Roque, Jr. for senator.

Television personality Joseph Peter Sison who is running for senator, substituted for broadcaster Noli de Castro under Aksyon Demokratiko.

Former Party-list Rep. Walden F. Bello substituted for a member of Partido Lakas ng Masa to run for vice-president in tandem with labor activist Leodegario “Ka Leody” de Guzman.

Election watchdog KontraDaya has said the mockery of election rules, particularly the withdrawal and substitution for the country’s two highest positions, could have been avoided if the Comelec “declared as nuisance candidates those who were clearly placeholders.”

Comelec should redeem itself by declaring these placeholders as nuisance candidates, it said.

Election spokesman James B. Jimenez last month said a candidate’s admission of being a placeholder was not enough basis for disqualification.

Mr. Jimenez on Monday said more candidates for next year had resorted to substitution, which Mr. Duterte used as a tactic in 2016.

“Substitution has been going on for a long time,” he said. “It’s been part and parcel of the practice in Philippine politics. Maybe it just became more prominent now precisely because it is played out at the highest levels.”

Congress should pass a bill regulating the practice, he said. “The Comelec will abide by what Congress passes, but as far as the Comelec is concerned, substitution remains a necessary and valid procedure.”

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III said Mr. Duterte should disclose his net worth for transparency.

“The people expect transparency from their leaders,” the Senate chief, who is running for vice-president, told the ABS-CBN News Channel.

The disclosure of net worth by election candidates should be voluntary since making it compulsory would be illegal, he said, citing jurisprudence.

“It has to be voluntary,” he said. “For the candidates that don’t want to submit their statement of assets, liabilities and net worth, we would know that they are untrustworthy.”

The presidential palace in August said it would leave to the Ombudsman the decision of releasing Mr. Duterte’s net worth statement.

Mr. Duterte had not disclosed his net worth despite his vow of transparency, the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism reported last year.

Since the law requiring public officials to disclose their net worth was enacted in 1989, all five presidents before Mr. Duterte had disclosed their worth year after year without fail, it said.

Under a memo issued by the Ombudsman in September, an official’s net worth report may only be released to his authorized representative or upon a court order.

The Ombudsman order also excluded journalists from obtaining copies of the statements. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza and Alyssa Nicole O. Tan

Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest

News

BW FILE PHOTO THE PESO rebounded versus the dollar on Thursday, returning to the P54 level, on lower global oil prices and as the...

News

REUTERS STOCKS declined further on Thursday as the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) said headline inflation could have reached an almost four-year high in...

News

FERDINAND “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. took his oath of office as the 17th president of the Philippines before Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo at the National...

News

PHILIPPINE STAR/ WALTER BOLLOZOS By Arjay L. Balinbin, Senior Reporter A TRANSPORT group said on Thursday that the increase in the minimum fare for...

News

PHILIPPINE STAR FILE PHOTO FORMER Camariñes Sur Rep. Rolando “Nonoy” G. Andaya, Jr. passed away on June 30, his family announced. He was 53....

News

PHILIPPINE STAR/ WALTER BOLLOZOS OUTGOING Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Jose Ma. “Joey” A. Concepcion III is recommending a halt to the government’s procurement of...

You May Also Like

News

BW FILE PHOTO GROSS BORROWINGS by the National Government reached P2.6 trillion as of end-September as it continued to raise funds to respond to...

News

REUTERS By Luz Wendy T. Noble, Reporter The country’s foreign exchange buffers slightly increased as of end-October as the value of the central bank’s...

News

COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the mental health of Filipinos across different groups all over the archipelago. From frontline workers, parents balancing...

Financial Advisors

The healthcare ecosystem is one that has thrived on the cusp of scientific progress, benefitting enormously from the winds of change in the technological...

Disclaimer: Respect Investment.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2022 Respect Investment. All Rights Reserved.