Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

DoH says no word yet from Marcos on COVID-19 state of calamity extension

PHILIPPINE STAR/WALTER BOLLOZOS

PRESIDENT FERDINAND R. Marcos, Jr. has yet to decide whether he will extend the COVID-19 state of calamity in the Philippines, according to a Health official.   

There has been “no categorical and no official response” yet from Mr. Marcos to the Department of Health’s (DoH) request for an extension of the state of calamity, Maria Rosario S. Vergeire, the agency’s acting chief, told a news briefing.  

“But indirectly, the president already has verbalized in one of his media outings that he is very hesitant to extend the state of calamity,” she said. 

Ms. Vergeire said that her agency submitted in December a recommendation to the Office of the President for the status extension.  

In a Dec. 23 meeting, officials discussed the “implications and options” that the government can take “if and when the state of calamity will not be extended,” according to Ms. Vergeire.  

Mr. Marcos has yet to appoint a full-time Health secretary, despite the threats posed by emerging coronavirus variants and subvariants. In December, he said he was not keen to lengthen the emergency status, noting it’s a “wrong mindset” to start the New Year with.   

Nevertheless, the DoH has already begun preparing in case the extension is not granted by the President,” Ms. Vergeire said. “Coming from there, from his statement, we are already preparing in parallel so that we can continue on with the other things we do for this response.”  

The senior Health official said the government can still continue with its COVID-19 vaccination program because doses that are authorized for emergency use can still be utilized for a year after the official end of the state of calamity.  

About 73.82 million Filipinos had been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, 21.29 million of whom received booster shots, according to a DoH bulletin released Monday.  

Ms. Vergeire said the country’s pandemic task force will meet with local leaders on Feb. 1 to discuss a plan to “decouple” restrictions from the alert levels. “These are consultations actually about or regarding their capacity to implement safeguards once we decouple the restrictions.”  

The Philippines, where the death toll from the coronavirus has reached about 60,000, is more equipped now in dealing with the pandemic, Ms. Vergeire said at the briefing. 

“We are quite confident as of this time compared to two years ago when we started to respond to this pandemic in terms of our healthcare utilization.”  

At present, hospitals are better prepared and have more capacity to respond, she claimed.

Hospital admissions “are very manageable,” she added. Severe and critical cases are becoming “less and less.”  

COVID-19 was the 11th leading cause of death in the country, according to a Jan. 23 report of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). 

In 2021, the agency said COVID-19 was the third leading cause of death in the country.  

The PSA report showed that ischemic heart diseases remained the leading cause of deaths in the Philippines. 

Cerebrovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes, hypertensive diseases, pneumonia, other heart diseases, chronic lower respiratory diseases were also on the list of top 10 causes of deaths among Filipinos. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza 

Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest

News

STOCKS continued to decline on Tuesday on faster-than-expected January inflation that fueled expectations of another big rate hike by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas...

News

PHILIPPINE STAR/ WALTER BOLLOZOS THE PESO sank to the P55-per-dollar level on Tuesday as January headline inflation was faster than expected and amid hawkish...

News

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. answers questions from the media after his first Cabinet meeting in Malacañan Palace, July 5, 2022. — PHILIPPINE STAR/ KRIZ...

News

REUTERS AGRICULTURE industry representatives said the government has not adequately supported farmers in achieving competitiveness against imports, which they called a necessary step before...

News

POLLOC FREEPORT AND ECOZONE — BARMM FACEBOOK PAGE THE classification of economic zone logistics services enterprises (ELSEs) as eligible for incentives under the Strategic...

News

BW FILE PHOTO A BILL that requires real estate investment trusts (REITs) to reinvest proceeds from their fundraising activities in the Philippines has been...

You May Also Like

News

COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the mental health of Filipinos across different groups all over the archipelago. From frontline workers, parents balancing...

News

REUTERS By Luz Wendy T. Noble, Reporter The country’s foreign exchange buffers slightly increased as of end-October as the value of the central bank’s...

News

BW FILE PHOTO GROSS BORROWINGS by the National Government reached P2.6 trillion as of end-September as it continued to raise funds to respond to...

News

KARASOLAR.COM TENA, Ecuador — Ecuador’s rainforest Achuar people say their ancestors long dreamed of a “fire canoe” or “electric fish” that would let them...

Disclaimer: Respect Investment.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2022 Respect Investment. All Rights Reserved.