Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Comelec gives Marcos extension to answer 1st disqualification case

THE PHILIPPINE poll body has granted the request of the late dictator’s son, Ferdinand R. “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr., to give him more time to answer a petition challenging his presidential candidacy.

Mr. Marcos, a former senator, was given five more days to answer the petition filed by civic leaders seeking to cancel his candidacy papers for president, said Commission on Elections (Comelec) Spokesman James B. Jimenez on Thursday.

The poll body official made the statement hours after he refuted a claim by the camp of Mr. Marcos that his motion for extension had been approved by election authorities.

“Getting word that Comelec (Second Division) just now issued an extension in the cancellation case against former Senator Marcos,” Mr. Jimenez tweeted. “Five days.”

Since the fifth day falls on a Sunday, the last day would be Nov. 22, he added.

The original deadline for Mr. Marcos to submit a response was Nov. 16.

Earlier in the day, Mr. Jimenez said no decision had been promulgated by the poll body’s second division, which is composed of Commissioners Socorro B. Inting and Antonio T. Kho, Jr.

Mr. Inting was an appellate court justice, while Mr. Kho used to be a Justice undersecretary.

The first legal complaint against Mr. Marcos’ presidential run mentioned that he is ineligible to run for public office after a trial court convicted him in 1995 for failing to pay income taxes, a crime that bars the offender from any government post.

The complaint cited material misrepresentation in his candidacy papers when he wrote that he was eligible to hold public office.

The Comelec on Nov. 11 issued summons to Mr. Marcos, giving him an “inextendible period” of five days to file his answer to the plea.

Mr. Marcos filed an extension motion on Nov. 15, which was opposed by petitioners on Nov. 17.

The petitioners in their Nov. 17 motion asked the poll body to observe its own rules and uphold the mandatory and peremptory character of extendible periods, their legal counsel Theodore Te said in a statement on Thursday.

Mr. Marcos should not be allowed to submit controverting evidence since he did not comply with the poll body’s summons, the petitioners’ lawyer argued, citing election rules.

4TH PETITION

Meanwhile, Mr. Jimenez said separately in a media briefing that the late dictator’s son is now facing four legal complaints blocking his presidential candidacy.

The fourth petition seeks to declare Mr. Marcos as nuisance candidate, he said.

Martial law victims on Nov. 17 filed a disqualification case against Mr. Marcos, asserting that he is disqualified from holding any public office, to vote, and to participate in any election as he was found guilty beyond reasonable doubt of violating the National Internal Revenue Code.

A group of professionals filed a petition to intervene in the first legal complaint against the candidacy of Mr. Marcos, who held local posts before he was elected as a senator in 2010.

The Philippine poll body has set Nov. 26 for the preliminary conference on the first petition against him. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza

Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest

News

REUTERS TRADE Secretary Alfredo E. Pascual’s intention to join more free trade agreements received backing from major business chambers, who declared support for participating...

News

NATIONAL IRRIGATION ADMINISTRATION PHOTO RELEASE SUBSIDIES provided to government-owned and -controlled corporations (GOCCs) declined by 82.31% year on year to P7.905 billion in May,...

News

PHILIPPINE STAR/ MICHAEL VARCAS AGRICULTURE and fisheries planning needs to be more “bottom-up” to better meet the needs of farmers and fisherfolk, steering away...

News

REUTERS ERIC BROTEN had planned to sow about 5,000 acres of corn this year on his farm in North Dakota, but persistent springtime rains...

News

(First of two parts) Family-run businesses require structures that are necessary to ensure a smooth transition. In the Philippines, the wealth of ultra-high net...

News

THOUSANDS of supporters of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr. are unfazed by the rain during a free concert held in Manila on the...

You May Also Like

News

BW FILE PHOTO GROSS BORROWINGS by the National Government reached P2.6 trillion as of end-September as it continued to raise funds to respond to...

News

REUTERS By Luz Wendy T. Noble, Reporter The country’s foreign exchange buffers slightly increased as of end-October as the value of the central bank’s...

News

COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the mental health of Filipinos across different groups all over the archipelago. From frontline workers, parents balancing...

Financial Advisors

The healthcare ecosystem is one that has thrived on the cusp of scientific progress, benefitting enormously from the winds of change in the technological...

Disclaimer: Respect Investment.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2022 Respect Investment. All Rights Reserved.